Last month’s challenge was all about promoting my blog. Here, on Twitter, Instagram, you name it… The reason I chose this challenge was mainly to work on my marketing/promotion skills. I know this is not my strongest suit, so any practice is welcome and may help me in future projects.
Blog Promotion Month: How did I do?
The short answer is that I didn’t do very well. I didn’t reach any of the numbers I had hoped to achieve and in many cases didn’t even get close to my goal. So what were the reasons I failed this challenge?
- While I posted new blogs quite regularly, I did not really make enough efforts to promote them. I would Tweet about the new post once and post the link on Facebook, but that was about it;
- I posted a photo on Instagram only twice during the entire month! How can I then expect to get new followers?
- My goal had been to comment 20 times on other blogs. I ended up writing 1 comment. Kinda sad, right?
- I did not create a Facebook page for my blog, as I had planned to do;
- In total, I spent a little over nine hours on my blog during the whole month. Not that much if you want to grow as a blogger.
Blog Promotion Month: What went well?
Despite my inability to obtain the amount of traffic I was hoping for, there are a few things that went well. Here they are:
- The number of visitors and page views grew as compared to the previous four months. They even doubled as compared to July;
- I promoted my blog on a couple of Facebook pages, and this increased the number of people visiting my blog;
- I started a WordPress Blogging University two-week course on Branding and Growth, but didn’t finish it. Hopefully, I will be able to finish it in the near future.
Something frustrating I experienced when I went from a wordpress.com URL to a self-hosted site is that I lost a lot of readers, and I often still get more traffic on my old site than on the new one, although I haven’t posted new content on it anymore. Has anyone gone through this as well? Any tips on how to keep your followers when moving to a self-hosted site? Any other blog promotion tips are welcome as well!